800 222 8711 Contact Us Join Mail List Secure Mail Submit a Claim
Search magnifying glass icon


A new Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) lead-paint law is in effect as of April 22, 2010. It requires that any renovation to a home or child occupied facility built prior to 1978 be performed by a certified contractor or renovator. A few exceptions are if:

  • The structure was built after 1978.
  • The repairs are minor, with interior work disturbing less than six square feet of interior painted surface or less than 20 square feet of exterior painted surface.
  • The house or components test lead free by a Certified Risk Assessor, Lead Inspector, or Certified Renovator.

training & disclosure requirements

The law requires training and certification of remodelers, safe work-site practices, verification and record keeping. It applies to anyone responsible for building repairs, including contractors, adjusters, property management companies, school districts, municipalities, etc. Lead-paint work requires use of personal protective equipment, specific cleaning protocols, air monitoring, engineering controls, work efficacy verification, and additional HUD and OSHA requirements. Those who are not ready to comply could be subject to daily fines of up to $32,500 per violation and potential civil litigation.

Contractors are now required to provide homeowners, tenants, childcare facilities and families whose children attend a facility with a Renovate Right Brochure, which contains information about the law. 

For more information use the links below:


Post Rating


There are currently no comments, be the first to post one.

Post Comment

Name (required)

Email (required)


Enter the code shown above:


The information provided in these articles are only general descriptions and should not be relied upon as complete, correct or accurate for your specific situation. All coverage informaiton is subject to policy provisions, endorsements and may be  subject to your meeting underwriting qualifications. Murphy Insurance Agency is not engaged in rendering legal, accounting or other noninsurance professional services. Consult an appropriate professional for advice regarding your own situation.