800 222 8711 Contact Us Join Mail List Secure Mail Submit a Claim
Search magnifying glass icon

March 22, 2009 marks the implementation of the new Move Over Law, which is designed to help protect police, firefighters, paramedics, tow truck drivers, and all roadside emergency and maintenance workers
The law requires all drivers approaching a stationary emergency or maintenance vehicle with flashing lights to move to the next adjacent lane if it is safe to do so, and, if that is not possible, to reduce their speed. There is no speed specified. Failure to comply is expensive. In addition to facing a fine up to $100, it is considered a moving violation, which can increase your insurance costs.
Every year, first responders across the country are injured or killed while providing emergency roadside help. In the past six months alone, several Massachusetts state troopers have been injured on the job. Obeying the law protects officers and roadside workers as well as all drivers from needless injury or even death.
Massachusetts is the 44th state to adopt such a law, so it’s important follow this safe driving behavior no matter where you’re driving.
For more information, go to Move Over Law and www.mass.gov/highwaysafety.
Murphy Insurance cares about your safety and strives to keep you informed about issues that impact your life. If you found this helpful, please forward it to your family and friends.
Source: MA Executive Office of Public Safety

Posted in: auto

Post Rating


There are currently no comments, be the first to post one.

Post Comment

Name (required)

Email (required)


Enter the code shown above:


The information provided in these articles are only general descriptions and should not be relied upon as complete, correct or accurate for your specific situation. All coverage informaiton is subject to policy provisions, endorsements and may be  subject to your meeting underwriting qualifications. Murphy Insurance Agency is not engaged in rendering legal, accounting or other noninsurance professional services. Consult an appropriate professional for advice regarding your own situation.