Wayne Texeira Marketing Director, CFMP, AINS, AIS, API
Once Hurricane Sandy has blown through, it will be time to survey the damage. If your property or vehicle sustains damage due to the storm, here are a few tips to help the claims process go more smoothly.
1. Don't go outside until it's safe. Stay away from downed power lines, unstable tree limbs and other debris. Safety first!
2. Contact your agent and provide a description of the damage. The agent will file a loss report with your insurance company and arrange for an insurance adjuster to assess the damage. Take pictures if possible and send them to your agent.
3. Secure your home or vehicle to prevent further damage. Make temporary repairs such as boarding up holes or broken windows, covering leaks with plastic sheeting, removing water and providing ventilation to speed up the drying process. Keep receipts for any costs you incur. Unless you absolutely have to, don't make permanent repairs until after the insurance adjuster has come out and advised you to do so.
4. If you have flooding damage, have an electrician check that it's safe before you turn the power on to prevent hurting yourself and causing additional damage to your property. You may need to remove wet contents immediately to prevent mold from developing. Discuss your situation with your agent for guidance.
5. Document your loss and repair costs. Your insurance company will require you to provide documentation for any damage and repairs. Take extensive photos of the damage and save all receipts for all home repairs, vehicle repairs and towing, temporary housing, meals and other living expenses. Make a list of damaged or lost items including their value (supply receipts if you have them) and age. If you have a home inventory, this will make the process even easier.
Insurance companies understand the stress that occurs for individuals, families and businesses when your property is damaged or destroyed. In a disaster situation where there is widespread damage, insurance companies take steps to have additional adjusters and staff on hand to process the increased number of claims. The best way to help your claim be processed as quickly and efficiently as possible is to be prepared and be ready to provide the required documentation.
At Murphy Insurance Agency, we're here to assist you in filing your claim and providing support throughout the process. Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns at any time.