800 222 8711 Contact Us Join Mail List Secure Mail Submit a Claim
Search magnifying glass icon

The Murphy Insurance Blog


News, updates and useful tips about insurance products and the insurance industry. We also provide insights on community events, local news and information that affect your everyday life. Enjoy!

If you're a college student living in a dorm or apartment, or have a child who's away at school, you may need to update your insurance policy or make coverage changes. Here are some issues to consider and discuss with our Associates if you have questions. 

Update garaging location. 
Insurance companies require that they must be notified when the address where the car is being kept is different from the policy address. Also, if attending school in a different state, check that your policy meets the minimum requirements of that state.   

Student discounts. 
If you have a grade average of "B" or 3.0 or better, you may qualify for good student grade discount. Another discount may be available if you live at school more than 100 miles away from home and don't have regular access to a vehicle.

College Student InsuranceOther vehicle issues.
Even if you don't have a car, you might borrow a friends car or drive your parents' car occasionally. If you're still considered a legal resident of your parents' home, you should be listed on their policy, which should cover these situations. If you're no longer a household member and you don't already have your own car insurance, you should get a Nonowned Auto policy.

Student's possessions and liability. 
A parent's homeowner, condo or renter insurance policy generally covers a student's possessions in a dorm (up to 10% of the personal property limit on the policy). These policies also cover the student for a variety of potential personal liability situations.

Home policies may provide coverage in an off-campus apartment; however, factors such as length of residence, age and full-time status can affect coverage. If a parent's home insurance doesn't provide coverage, the student should get a renter's policy.

Precautionary measures can temper the ravages of these destructive storms

Hurricanes can shatter lives as well as damage property. Being prepared can help you, your family or your business minimize the impact of the storm. The best time to start is before the threat is imminent. Don't wait until a hurricane watch is issued, because it may already be too late to take certain precautions. Reduce property damage and get through any hurricane emergency with less stress by preparing early in the season.

1. Plan your evacuation route well ahead of time

If you live on the coast or in a mobile home, you may have to evacuate in the event of a major storm.

While you'll no doubt get instructions from the local government, it's wise to create your evacuation plan well before a disaster strikes. This way, you can know ahead of time about the nearest shelters, take your pets into account in your plan, make sure to take important papers and make a trial run.

2. Keep non-perishable emergency supplies on hand

When a hurricane warning is issued, people run for the stores. As much as possible, get ahead of the rush having the following on hand:

  • Extra batteries
  • Candles or lamps with fuel
  • Matches (keep these dry)
  • Materials and tools for emergency home repairs–such as heavy plastic sheeting, plywood, a hammer, etc.
  • Prescription drugs
  • A three-day supply of drinking water
  • Food that you don’t have to refrigerate or cook
  • First aid supplies
  • A portable NOAA weather radio
  • A wrench and other basic tools
  • A flashlight

If you need to evacuate, you'll bring these supplies with you. As expirations dates approach (for example, food or batteries), use the items and replenish your emergency stash.

3. Take an inventory of your personal property

Creating a home inventory will help ensure that you have purchased enough insurance to replace your personal possessions. It can also speed the claims process, substantiate losses for income tax purposes and is helpful should you need to apply for disaster aid. In the event you need to evacuate, be sure your home inventory is among the important documents you take with you.

4. Review your insurance policies

This hurricane season insurance checklist can help you to understand your coverage and whether it’s adequate to repair or rebuild your home, if necessary, and to replace your belongings

Keep in mind that your homeowners insurance covers the cost of temporary repairs for hurricane damage, as well as reasonable additional living expenses (ALE) over and above your normal living expenses if you have to relocate (such as the extra expense of getting to work or to school if your temporary home is in a different community).

However, your homeowners policy doesn’t cover flood damage, so you may want to consider looking into flood insurance. If you live by the coast, you may also need a separate policy for protection against wind and wind-blown water damage.

If you have questions about what your current policy will cover or need to augment your current coverage, contact your insurance professional.

5. Take steps to protect your home

Hurricane force winds can turn landscaping materials into missiles that can break windows and doors and much of the property damage associated with hurricanes occurs after the windstorm when rain enters structures through broken windows, doors and openings in the roof.

While retrofitting your home to protect against these possibilities is undoubtedly an expense, you can do it in stages.

  • Replace gravel or rock landscaping materials with shredded bark, which is lighter and won't cause as much harm.
  • Cut weak branches and trees that could fall on your house and keep shrubbery trimmed.
  • Install storm shutters to protect your windows from breakage. Alternately, fit plywood panels to your windows, which can be nailed to window frames when a storm approaches.
  • Make sure exterior doors are hurricane proof and have at least three hinges and a dead bolt lock that is at least one-inch long.
  • Sliding glass doors should be made of tempered glass and, during a storm, covered with shutters or plywood. These types of doors are more vulnerable to wind damage than most other doors.
  • Replace old garage doors and tracks with a door that is approved for both wind pressure and impact protection. Wind coming into your home through an opening this large poses grave problems for the rest of your home—especially your roof.
  • Seal outside wall openings such as vents, outdoor electrical outlets, garden hose bibs and locations where cables or pipes go through the wall. Use a high quality urethane-based caulk to prevent water penetration.
  • If you have a boat on a trailer, know how to anchor the trailer to the ground or house—and review your boat insurance policy.

6. Take steps to protect your business

Hurricanes take a toll on businesses, too so be prepared.

  • Keep contact information for employees, suppliers and vendors current so you can check on their wellbeing and communicate next steps for resuming normal business operations.

For more preparedness tips, handy checklists (including ones you can personalize yourself) and evacuation planning advice to cover a variety of disasters, get the I.I.I.’s Know Your Plan app. It's a great tool to help get you and your family—including pets—organized and ready to act more quickly if an emergency strikes.

Additional resources

Institute for Business & Home Safety

Source: Insurance Information Institute


Off-Premises Coverage Includes Theft and Damage from Perils Listed In Your Homeowners or Renters Policy

While self-storage units may be a useful way to de-clutter your home, having the right insurance coverage is the best way to financially protect your belongings—no matter where they are.

If you are planning to rent a storage unit for your belongings, take the following steps:

  • Ask your insurance professional about off-premises coverage.  Some standard homeowners and renters insurance policies include coverage for personal possessions kept off-premises including a storage facility. Off-premises coverage includes theft and damage from fires, tornadoes and other perils listed in the policy. However, it does not cover for damage caused by flooding, earthquakes, mold and mildew, vermin or poor maintenance. And check the coverage limits, as these vary by company.
  • Find out what type of financial protection is provided by the storage facility.  Most facilities provide reimbursement based on the square footage of the unit. Check both the coverage limits and whether it is provided on an actual cash value or replacement cost basis. Most storage facilities will also offer a variety of supplemental insurance packages; ask your insurance professional if it would make sense to buy this additional coverage.
  • Consider special insurance or storage for expensive items.  If you intend to store valuable property, such as art, antiques, jewelry or furs, there may be dollar restrictions under your standard homeowners or renters insurance policy for theft. Ask your insurance professional about adding a floater or endorsement to your policy in order to fully cover these items. There are also specialized storage facilities available for these types of items, as they often need to be kept at specific temperature and humidity levels. Small items such as jewelry will cost less to insure if they are kept in a bank safe-deposit box. Keep in mind contents in a safe-deposit box are not insured by the bank.
  • Create an inventory of items to be kept off-premises in storage.  Add the items you’re moving to the storage unit to your home inventory so that you can keep track of your belongings and make sure you have the right amount of insurance to protect them. To make creating your inventory as easy as possible, the I.I.I. has a free home inventory tool, Know Your Stuff®, which includes secure online storage so you can access your inventory anywhere, anytime.

The Insurance Information Institute suggests the following tips for choosing a safe storage company:

  • Look for a secure facility.  Fencing that secures the entire property and access control are the minimum security measures a storage business should offer. But, ideally, the storage building should have onsite security features such as 24-hour video surveillance cameras and coded security pads. Also, find out about the facility’s procedures in cases such as a fire or flood.
  • Look for a unit with climate control.  Very high or low temperatures, as well as dampness can quickly cause damage to appliances and furniture. And make sure that rising ground water from snow or rain is unable to penetrate the storage.
  • Consider a storage company that offers insurance.  If your renters or homeowners insurance does not provide off-premises coverage, you may want to opt for one of the company’s coverage options. Keep in mind that any facility should also have its own insurance to cover damages to the property or injuries that occur on the premises.
  • Check that the facility is clean and well-maintained. If a storage facility is not routinely and thoroughly cleaned, there is a good possibility no one is monitoring for bugs and rodent infestations. Verify that the facility has a permanent, reliable pest extermination contract in place before you trust them with your belongings.

Source:  Insurance Information Institute

In talking with other business peers,, the fall seems to be performance review time at a lot of companies. Performance evaluations often seem to be a dreaded process either because of the time it can take to prepare if you have a large staff or sometimes it's a time for frank discussions that some managers have been putting off.  With that in mind, I sat down with our HR Manager to talk about performance evaluations and ideas for how to make the process less painful for everyone involved. 

Experts believe that at least 50% of employee performance problems occur because of a lack of feedback.

Annual reviews can serve as a beneficial development tool to identify, measure, encourage, evaluate, reward and improve employee performance. Documenting employee performance is an important human resources management practice that can help avoid misunderstandings that could lead to legal action.

A performance review should NEVER be a surprise.

Feedback between the employee and manager should be ongoing, which is then formally summarized at set intervals. It’s important that the process be viewed as fair by employees. It should be balanced for an overall positive experience with constructive feedback included. Many organizations ask employees to complete a self-evaluation as the first step, which provides valuable insights as to how the employee views their own performance.

Tips for success.

There are many elements of a successful performance review process, but here are a few tips:

  • Establish well-written job descriptions outlining essential functions, standards, goals and expectations
  • Prepare in advance and plan for the process
  • Link company strategy to specific objectives and results
  • Evaluate yourself before your employee; how is your management helping or hindering performance?
  • Be objective and honest using specific and accurate examples
  • Remember to evaluate performance not personality
  • Identify development opportunities
  • Ask if the employee has questions or concerns
  • Put mutually decided objectives in writing
  • Show that you’re invested and that you care

Whatever your performance review process, it must be completed on time to reflect a sense of importance and urgency. 

Top-level support is a critical key to a successful program. While this seems obvious, lack of support is the main reason that performance evaluation systems fail to succeed. Supervisors and staff can quickly sense if top management is fully supporting the process or simply giving it lip service. Upper management must demonstrate in words and actions that it is determined to see the process succeed.

Additional Resources:

Conducting Performance Reviews
Why Organizations Do Employee Performance Evaluation  
Ten tips for conducting employee performance reviews 

The start of the school year is here. College students are moving back-to-school, and many are getting prepared for new living arrangements which may or may not require having a car on campus. With all the preparation, insurance coverage is an issue that can be over looked. Even if a student has been away to college previously, it doesn't mean that his/her insurance needs haven't changed depending upon a variety of factors.  

does the student need renters insurance?

Many parents assume that if your child is a dependent then they are covered by a parent's home or renter insurance. , but it can be more complicated than that. So, the real answer is “It depends”.  A home policy covers personal property of any resident relative, so what you need to keep in mind is the issue “Is your child still considered a resident of your household?” Even, if you think they are, you can run into situations where they are no longer considered a legal resident even if you are still providing financial support.

For example, if your student lives in on-campus housing but then moves to an off-campus apartment, you may run into issues.  If the student still has a room at your home, where they have some of their stuff, and continues to have their mailing address at home, and comes home at the end of the school year, then it's relatively clearn that they are a household resident. But, what if the student still has a room at home, but is also staying at the apartment year-round, leaves their possessions at the apartment all year, and changes their legal mailing address?  Once they cross into that gray area where it can be argued that they have set up their own household, that’s when she got her own renter’s insurance policy. It’s important to be aware of when your child’s living situation or decisions can establish their legal status as no longer being a resident of your home, such as changing their mailing address. Insurance companies are usually good about providing coverage even when it’s a little gray, but when it becomes more clear that your child is legally emancipated, they need their own policy.

When it comes to students living away from home, it’s also important to note that some home insurance policies have different language that adds age or full-time status limitations. On some policies, the student living away from home must be under age 24. Once he or she hits 24, Happy Birthday…they are no longer covered. It may also be required that a student living away must be enrolled full-time, as defined by the school, to be covered by the policy. So, if a student drops a few classes, they may officially become part-time and then, no coverage.

The goal here isn’t to delve into the details of policy language because every situation is different. But, these finer points are ones that parents often misunderstand. So, it’s important to read your policy and think about your situation. If you think perhaps your situation could be crossing that line of emancipation, then you need to talk to your agent. Don’t assume anything.  Ask your agent for clarification and if necessary confirm coverage with your insurance carrier..

As for what’s protected, a home policy covers personal property of any resident relative any where in the world for the same types of disaster situations covering the home. But, when personal property is kept at another residence, i.e. a dorm or off campus apartment, the amount of coverage is generally limited to 10% of the Coverage C- personal property limit. So, if your Coverage C limit is $150,000, then you’ve got $15,000.

Generally speaking that should be enough, but these days with expensive electronics, name brand clothes, designer accessories, bikes, etc., you really need to look at what’s going to be at school. We recommend creating a “dorm inventory” listing all the items going to school and their estimated value. Check out some information that we've shared about creating an inventory that includes sample forms and links to an App. If your child has expensive jewelry, it’s probably wise to leave it at home, but if it is going to school, then you might want to consider specifically listing any high value pieces on your home policy.

car insurance concerns

The other aspect that involves kids going away to school is their car. The most common mistake is not notifying the insurance company of a “garaging” change if the student is taking a car to school. "Garaging" is the insurance term that means “the location/city where the car is primarily parked overnight”. Some people get confused and think it refers to a physical structure…that has nothing to do with it. It’s about whether the car is at home or somewhere else. And, it’s required to provide this notification; otherwise, you could have no coverage in an accident. We don't want to sound harsh, but that’s how it works, so it's important that you follow those rules to ensure your student and the vehicle is covered.

Some good news for parents (and students) is that if the student is not taking a car to school and school is over 100 miles away, you can get a discount on your auto policy. The idea here is that a student living far away doesn’t drive the car regularly, so this reduces the risk of an inexperienced driver having an accident based on the percentage of driving time.  Also, some insurance companies also offer discounts for good grades, because good grades are a way of demonstrating responsible behavior, which correlates with fewer accidents, hence the offering of a discount.

If you already knew about all these issues, then you’d get an A+ on an exam. If you didn’t know about all of these, don’t beat yourself up…you’re not alone. These are common areas of confusion. As the school year begins, keep these issues in mind and if anything is of concern contact us. We hope that you'll feel a bit better protected because now you know what you need to be doing to keep your insuance current with changing life circumstances..


You purchase homeowner insurance to financially protect your home and possessions in case of damage. When bad weather causes damage, home insurance coverage for a storm related loss can depend on the situation as well as the type of coverage you’ve purchased.

Typical homeowner policies (HO3 policy form) include coverage for a variety of causes of loss (aka perils); however, certain causes of loss may be excluded, which helps to keep policies affordable. You may be able to expand your coverage by:

storm insurance coverage - lightning & more

  • Purchasing an endorsement to your homeowner policy; i.e. sewer back-up, service line coverage and broader coverage for contents
  • Purchasing a separate policy, i.e. flood insurance because floods are not covered by homeowner insurance.

Check your policy details about what causes of loss are covered by your policy and what is excluded. Speak with your agent if you have questions or want to explore options for enhancing coverage. Below are some general rules for common weather related loss situations. Keep in mind that coverage limits and deductibles apply to covered losses.

wind, hail & fallen trees

Wind and hail that damages roofing or shingles, and wind-driven rain, hail or snow that causes internal damage due to wind are generally covered by homeowner policies. If a storm or weight of snow, sleet or ice causes a tree to hit your home or another insured structure such as a detached garage or shed, a typical home insurance policy covers damage the tree causes to the structure and contents inside (when the damage causes a hole in the building). It also provides limited tree debris removal coverage ($500 or slightly more) when a tree hits your home or a covered structure. But, if a tree just falls in your yard, it’s generally not covered. In the winter, if the power goes out for an extended period of time, you may experience frozen pipes that could break/leak when the power comes back on. Home insurance typically covers resulting damage.


If your home is struck by lightning, the damage to the structure is covered by typical homeowner insurance. Generally, damage to appliances and electronics due to power surges related to a lightning strike on your property are covered. However, if a power surge results from an off property electrical issue, homeowner policies typically don’t provide coverage unless you have purchased expanded coverage on personal property. Also, the amount of coverage for appliances or electronics depends on the specifics of your policy such as the coverage limit amount, deductible and whether you’ve chosen personal property replacement cost or actual cash value protection. It’s always a good idea to use quality surge protectors and test them to make sure they are working properly to help prevent a claim situation.

water, floods & ice damage

Water from rainstorms or ice can cause significant damage to a home. Homeowner insurance typically covers damage from hail and ice; however, when it comes to water, coverage depends on the cause of the loss. Wind-driven rain or a frozen pipe bursting are typically covered by home insurance; however floods from rain or a body of water overflowing are not covered by home insurance and require a separate flood policy, which has its own coverage limitations regarding definitions of a flood and coverage availability.

Sewer back-ups, which can happen after a heavy rain storm, are often excluded from home coverage unless you specifically purchase the coverage by adding an endorsement. However, seepage, where water enters due to saturated ground or poor drainage, is not covered by homeowner policies or flood policies.

When it comes to your home’s contents, it’s also important to understand your coverage. For example, a typical home policy covers damage to the structure from water damage due to ice dams; however, your personal property is often covered on a “named perils” basis and may not be covered for ice dams unless you choose to purchase extended coverage. Your agent can help you to understand your current coverage and options.


Earthquakes and earth movement are not covered by homeowners insurance. However, earthquake insurance is available either through an endorsement. You don’t have to live in a high risk area like California to face a risk of earthquake. New England has historically experienced severe earthquakes and it could happen again.

plan ahead

Before you have a claim is the time to understand storm damage coverage and what may or may not be covered by insurance. This will allow you to either purchase additional insurance protection if available and transfer the risk, or understand what may not be covered so that you can take preventative measures in advance. 

If you lease a car, you still need to buy your own auto insurance policy. The auto dealer or bank that is financing the car will require you to buy collision and comprehensive coverage. You will need to buy these coverages in addition to the others that may be mandatroy in your state, such as auto liability insurance.

  • Collision covers the damage to the car from an accident with another automobile or object.
  • Comprehensive covers a loss that is caused by something other than a collision with another car or object, such as a fire or theft or collision with a deer.

The leasing company may also require "gap" insurance. If you have an accident and your leased car is damaged beyond repair, or "totaled," there's likely to be a difference between the amount that you still owe the auto dealer and the check you'll get from your insurance company. That's because the insurance company's check is based on the car's actual cash value which takes into account depreciation. The difference between the two amounts is known as the "gap."

On a leased car, the cost of gap insurance is generally rolled into the lease payments. You don't actually buy a gap policy. Generally, the auto dealer buys a master policy from an insurance company to cover all the cars it leases and charges you for a "gap waiver." This means that if your leased car is totaled, you won't have to pay the dealer the gap amount. Check with the auto dealer when leasing your car.

If you have an auto loan rather than a lease, you may want to buy gap insurance to protect yourself from having to come up with the gap amount if your car is totaled before you've finished paying for it. Ask your insurance professional about gap insurance; it may not be available in some states.

There are four events that should trigger a review of your policy:

1. When your policy comes up for renewal

Don’t just automatically send a check to your insurance company. Take the time to review your coverage and call your agent with any questions or concerns that you may have regarding your homeowners insurance. Ask yourself the following questions:

  • Has the company made any changes in coverage since last year?
  • Does my policy now include a separate deductible for risks like hurricane or hail?
  • Should I raise the deductible to save money?
  • Am I taking advantage of all available discounts?
  • Do I need to raise the amount of coverage for liability, personal possessions or the structure?
  • Should I comparison shop for a cheaper rate?
  • Do I need flood, earthquake or an umbrella policy?

2. When you've made major purchases or home improvements

If you have made any major purchases, make sure that you have the proper coverage. And, don’t forget about gifts. If you have received a diamond engagement ring or if a member of your family has bought you expensive artwork or a computer, talk to your agent about either increasing the amount of insurance you have for your personal possessions or purchasing a floater/endorsement for these items. A floater will give you higher and broader coverage for these items than you have under your homeowners policy.

If you have made major improvements to your home, such as adding a new room, enclosing a porch or expanding a kitchen or bathroom, you risk being underinsured if you don't report the increase in square footage to your insurance company. Don’t forget about new structures outside of your home. If you have built a gazebo, a new shed for your tools or installed a pool or hot tub, you need to speak to your agent. Keep receipts and records in case you need to forward copies to your company.

3. When you've made your home safer

If you have installed a state-of-the art fire/burglar alarm system or upgraded your heating, plumbing or electrical system, make sure that your insurance company knows about these improvements. You may qualify for a discount.

4. When you experience major lifestyle changes

Marriage, divorce, or adult children who move back into the family home, can all affect your homeowners insurance. When people move in or move out, they take their belongings with them. And you may need additional coverage if there is a sizable increase in the value of the belongings in your home.

Starting a home-based business can also trigger changes in your coverage. You will need to get additional coverage for business liability and equipment. If the business is your primary source of income, you may need a Businessowners Package Policy (BOP). You may also need professional liability coverage, which is excluded under in-home business and businessowners policies. For more information, see Business Insurance.

Source: Insurance Information Institute

 The term cohabitation most commonly refers to unmarried couples living together, but it also applies to roommates and other living situations. If you choose to cohabitate, take care to obtain the right coverage for your situation. The general overview below highlights key concerns; however, it doesn’t address every circumstance. Talk with our Associates about your specific situation, so that we may offer you appropriate guidance.

Homeowners’ & Condominium Owners’ Insurance

Insurance companies have made it easier for unmarried couples to purchase a homeowners’ policy together, which wasn’t always the case. However, if only one partner owns the home/condo, the other partner’s possessions and liability are not covered by the home policy. In this situation, there are two solutions. 1) Add your partner to the policy as a co-occupant. 2) Have your partner buy a renters’ insurance policy. We can help you determine which option is best for you. The value of possessions add up quickly, and everyone should have liability protection.  

Renters’ Insurance

If you rent, your landlord’s insurance does not protect your possessions or your liability. You need a renters’ policy. Some companies will cover both unmarried partners under one policy; others require separate policies. Roommates should each have their own renters’ policy. An additional benefit is that renters’ insurance can qualify you for auto insurance discounts.   

Auto Insurance

Drivers—Automobile policies have very specific language outlining who must be listed as a driver for coverage to apply. Whether a couple/family or simply roommates, the key question is “Do you allow each other ‘regular use’ of your vehicle(s)?” Regular use doesn’t simply mean daily or weekly use; it also applies to any patterned monthly or allowed usage. If in doubt, it’s better to be safe and list each other as drivers. You don’t want to have a claim and have a coverage questioned or denied because you didn’t address having drivers listed properly. 

Discounts/Savings—If an unmarried couple owns multiple vehicles jointly, you may save money by having one car insurance policy and qualifying for a multi-car discount. Another issue to keep in mind is that to qualify for a home/auto multi-policy discount, a vehicle must have the homeowner’s name on the vehicle registration.   

Umbrella & Life Insurance

For additional liability protection, unmarried couples should consider a personal umbrella policy. If you rely on each other financially and/or have children, make sure that you have sufficient life insurance in place. If you’re doing financial planning remember that insurance is a key element.  


A standard certificate of Insurance is a snap shot in time. It tells a certificate holder how much insurance coverage an insured has in place, the effective dates of the policies, and the name of the insurance carrier. Requesting a standard certificate is straight forward and quick for an agent to process.

However, when a certificate holder requests to be added to your policy as an “Additional Insured”, this means they intend for your policy to provide primary coverage for them should you be negligent and cause damage or bodily injury to others.  This can be an issue if you have no formal contract with them or a contract that has not been reviewed by an attorney.  Here’s why!

‘Additional Insured’ status requires a attention to detail

As the world has beccome more litigious, contract requirements and language have also become more complex. Providing a certificate holder with ‘Additional Insured’ status means that they receive many of the same benefits as you under your policy. Many insurance carriers have changed their ‘blanket additional insured endorsements’ to provide coverage only when there is a written contract in place. If you don’t have a contract, ‘Additional Insured’ status may still be available, but it may require an additional endorsement for an additional premium.

Contract wording can help or harm you

A good contract defines the scope of work, budget, schedule, and governs all parties’ obligations in the event of a loss. A well-drafted insurance requirement provision can help decrease the risk associated with a particular project, or shift the consequences of that risk to another party. However, if you are not careful, contract language can extend your liability exposure beyond the scope of work you are doing. That's why it's extremely important to fully understand the contract details and to what you are committing. It is ALWAYS suggested that an attorney review your contract before you sign it in order to help identify potential problem situations.

For example, a plumber was entering into a contract requiring ‘Additional Insured’ status. Upon closer review by our team it was discovered that the contract language was requiring him to cover liability associated not only with his work but also the work of the builders and architects should anything go wrong on the project. By reviewing the contract closely before signing, the plumber was able to get it amended prior to the start of the job. Ulitmately, you are responsible for the contracts you sign, so be sure to do your due diligence every time.

How to request Certificates of Insurance at Murphy Insurance

There are a couple ways you can request a Certificate of Insurance:

Website  -  Under the Resources menu you’ll find “Certificate of Insurance Request”. We provide an online form that prompts you for the information we need to issue a certificate. This can help avoid delays caused by missing information.

Email  -  certificateofinsurance@dfmurphy.com – If you’re familiar with the information needed to issue a certificate, you can email the Murphy Insurance certificate team. Remember to provide:

  • a phone number where you can be reached if we have questions
  • the certificate holder’s full name and address
  • an email and/or fax number where to send the certificate
  • if additional insured status in required, and whether or not you have a written contract         

If you have any questions about the information above or Certificates of Insurance in general, please contact us. We are always glad to assist you.