800 222 8711 Contact Us Pay My Bill Submit a Claim Client Portal
Search magnifying glass icon

The Murphy Insurance Blog


News, updates and useful tips about insurance products and the insurance industry. We also provide insights on community events, local news and information that affect your everyday life. Enjoy!

If you’re a boater, you know that not all watercraft users are as responsible and safety conscious as you. You share the waterways with many unregistered boaters, which makes it even more important that you’re properly insured to protect you and your loved ones. 

small boats

Most homeowner, condo owner or renters policies, provide very limited coverage for property damage and liability coverage for small boats such as canoes, small sail boats and small power boats. Depending on the size of your watercraft, you may need to add an endorsement to your homeowner policy or get a separate boat policy.

larger and faster boats

boat insuranceFor larger boats, yachts and personal watercraft such as jet skis, you need a separate boat policy. A boat policy provides for loss or damage to the watercraft and attached equipment either on an Actual Cash Value  or Agreed Amount Value. It also offers liability for bodily injury to another person, damage to someone else’s property and guest passenger liability coverage.

talk to your agent

While there are insurers that specialize in writing boat policies, it’s wise to speak with the agent that handles your home insurance to coordinate your coverage, and ensure consistent and comprehensive protection. You want to avoid coverage gaps between a boat policy and other coverage, especially if you have umbrella liability insurance.


Showing 0 Comment

Comments are closed.