800 222 8711 Contact Us Join Mail List Secure Mail Submit a Claim
Search magnifying glass icon

Murphy Insurance News & Articles


topics of interest to you

Workers' compensation policies issued to Sole Proprietors and Partnerships do not provide coverage for the individual sole proprietor or partner(s) unless they elect coverage for themselves. This can leave a gap in workers’ compensation coverage as shown below:

Workers Comp Sole Proprietor Murphy Insurance  

What does this mean to you?

Sole Proprietors & Partner(s) – Make sure you have elected the proper coverage.  If you are performing work for someone, most companies expect that you would have Workers' Compensation coverage in place covering you as well as your employees. 

Other Businesses – Do not accept a certificate of insurance unless it shows the coverage status of the sole proprietor or partners. If you hire a sole proprietor or partner who has not elected coverage, his payroll for that work will be included in your workers’ compensation policy annual audit. This will increase your annual premium and can impact your experience if that person were injured while working for you.  We recommend that you require “your” subs to have coverage in place to keep your costs down.

NOTE: This information is only a general description of the available coverages and is not a statement of contract. All coverages are subject to all policy provisions and applicable endorsements. Some coverage may be subject to individual insureds meeting underwriting qualifications and to availability within a state. For further information contact a Murphy Insurance Agency Associate.


Showing 0 Comment

Comments are closed.


The information provided in these articles are only general descriptions and should not be relied upon as complete, correct or accurate for your specific situation. All coverage informaiton is subject to policy provisions, endorsements and may be  subject to your meeting underwriting qualifications. Murphy Insurance Agency is not engaged in rendering legal, accounting or other noninsurance professional services. Consult an appropriate professional for advice regarding your own situation.