There are a variety of ways that you can save money on your auto insurance. Insurance companies offer specific discounts, provide account credits or consider a variety of preferential rating factors which you may or may not be eligible for that can reduce your auto insurance premium.
When considering discounts, it's important to remember that you need to look at the combined discounts for all your policies. With “managed competition,” simply qualfiying for a discount doesn't mean that it is the best solution for you. There are situations when you could realize more substantial savings or have better coverage through a carrier that doesn't provide the same discount structure. Our trusted associates provide you the guidance to evaluate a wide variety of options so that you can make informed decisions. Contact us for details about any of these discounts opportunities.
Some of the discount and rating factors considered by carriers include:
auto and home package discount
You can often save up to 20% on your auto insurance when your auto and home (home, condo or renters) policies are with the same insurance company. Most companies provide an additional discount on your home policy, so the savings can be substantial.
You can often qualify for a discount if you and/or your spouse/partner insure two or more cars and meet certain requirements.
AAA member or other motor club
Some insurance companies provide a discount if you are a member of a qualifying motor club such as AAA, Cross-Country, GM Motor Club, Onstar and others. If you are a member of one of these or another be sure to inform us.
Many new vehicles come with factory installed anti-theft devices, and you can install additional devices. You can qualify for a 5%-35% anti-theft device discount on Comprehensive Coverage depending on what you have installed. Review the Anti-Theft Device Discount Verification for details on specific anti-theft devices and applicable discounts and talk to a trusted Murphy Insurance associate to make sure we are aware of anti-theft devices on your vehicles.
passive restraint discount
You'll receive a 25% discount on certain Personal Injury, Bodily Injury and Medical protection if your vehicle has air bags or automatic seat belts.
The Mass Division of Insurance approves certain groups for a special auto insurance discounts. If you belong to a qualifed group, let us know so that we consider it as we compare auto insurance options for you. We won't know that you're eligible unless you tell us. Be sure to review the complete Murphy Insurance Agency Group Discount Programs listing, but here are some of the most popular groups in our area.
- Acton Education Association - Member
- Berlin/Boylston Regional School District - Member
- Boston University Law Alumni Association - Member
- Certified Public Accountant - Member
- DCU - Digital Federal Credit Union - Member
- Hudson Education Association - Member
- IC Federal Credit Union - Member
- Massachusetts Bar Association - Member
- Massachusetts Medical Society - Member
- Milford Teachers Association - Member
- Professional Fire Fighters of Massachusetts - Member
- Safe Roads Alliance (In Control Advanced Driver Training) - Member
- St. Anselm College Alumni Association - Member
- State Police Association of Massachusetts - Member
see full list >
low mileage discount
You can qualify for a low mileage discount if you drive your vehicle less than 5,000 miles per year. Some carriers will provide a low mileage discount if you drive 7,500 or 10,000. To receive this discount you must verify your low mileage by submitting an Annual Mileage Discount form.
good student discount
Some insurance carriers provide a discount on qualifying policies for a high school or college student, who maintains a grade average of "B" or 3.0 or better.
student away discount
In qualifying situations where there is a student residing in your home that is currently living away at school, some insurance companies may provide a discount because the student is driving a vehicle less.
Some companies reward customers with reduced rates or discounts depending on how long you have had your insurance with their company.
If you use public transportation to get to work on an ongoing basis, some companies provide you with a 10% discount on certain property damage and collision protections by providing proof of purchase.
age 65 or older
After all other discounts and rating factors are applied; you can receive an additional 25% discount on all coverages.
basic and advanced driver training course
New drivers may qualify for a discount if they have taken a basic driver training course. Also certain carriers provide a specific discount or consider it a preferential rating factor if you have completed a qualified advanced driver training program, i.e. In Control Advanced Driver Training.
Some companies offer discounts or preferential ratings if you drive a hybrid vehicle.
- Pan-Mass Challenge Mapfre Partnership - Mapfre Insurance is the Official Auto Insurance Provider of the Pan-Mass Challenge. Donating to PMC can make you eligible for a discount on your auto policy. You must provide proof each year of a donation to maintain this discount. If you are a Mapfre Insured, please provide Murphy Insurance with proof of your donation. learn more and donate to qualify >
- Mapfre Life Insurance - Mapfre offers Simple Issue Term Insurance, which in addition to helping protect your loved ones also provides a discount on your auto insurance.