800 222 8711 Contact Us Pay My Bill Submit a Claim
Search magnifying glass icon


Renter Insurance

protection for your possessions and your liability

While your landlord probably has insurance to cover the building you live in, your landlords's insurance does not cover your belongings and personal possessions. It also does not cover your personal liability if someone should be injured in your home. You need to purchase your own insurance protection. Renter’s insurance is relatively inexpensive and gives you substantial coverage. Plus you may save money on your car insurance, which means it will cost you even less to have this important protection.

personal property protection

It provides for repair or replacement of your personal property in the event of specific risks or “perils” that are outlined in the policy. Common perils named on most renter’s policies include:

  • Fire – including damage from smoke and water used to put out a fire
  • Weather - lightning, windstorms, hailstorms, tornadoes
  • Accidental discharge of water
  • Electrical surge damage
  • Explosions
  • Glass breakage
  • Falling trees and objects
  • Collapse of roof or walls
  • Damage by vehicles
  • Theft or burglary
  • Vandalism and malicious mischief

NOTE: Floods are not covered by a renter's insurance policy. To protect your personal property, you need a flood insurance policy.

liability protection

What happens if a visitor slips on a wet floor and breaks their hip? Your renter’s policy also protects you in the event that you’re found responsible for unintentional injuries to another person or damage to property. This protection applies to all family members living in your household and covers you whether an accident occurred on your property or elsewhere. Liability protection covers medical expenses and other compensation awards for injuries. It also covers the legal costs to defend you in a lawsuit for a covered liability incident. Even if you are ultimately found not liable, the lawyer fees and court costs alone could be substantial and financially devastating, so this protection is valuable.

determining your needs

Answering these questions can help you determine your insurance needs. A Murphy Insurance associate can help you if you need more details.

  • How much will it cost to replace or repair my personal contents?
  • Do I need replacement cost rather than actual cash value coverage protection for my personal property?
  • Do I need flood insurance?
  • How much protection should I have to cover liability and visitor’s medical expenses if they are injured on my property?
  • Do I have valuable items that could exceed limits in my policy that I should “schedule” such as jewelry, fine art, antiques, electronics or other special items?
  • Do I need extra protection to cover my home business contents and liability for meeting clients at my home?

special discounts

Insurance companies provide discounts in certain qualified situations. Based on the information you share, your trusted associate works to maximize all discounts that you are eligible for. These may include discounts for:

  • Smoke detectors
  • Central station fire & burglar alarms.
  • Home and auto package discounts



NOTE: This information is only a general description of the available coverages and is not a statement of contract. All coverages are subject to all policy provisions and applicable endorsements. Some coverage may be subject to individual insureds meeting underwriting qualifications and to availability within a state. For further information contact a Murphy Insurance Agency Associate.