protect your house, your contents
Owning a home is probably one of the largest financial investments you’ll make in your life. So, you should protect that investment and yourself. Homeowner’s policies are designed to provide financial protection in the event of damage to your dwelling and personal property, personal liability and other risks that you may purchase special additional protection for as a home owner.
Home insurance protects you from a variety of standard risks often referred to as “perils” that result in damage or destruction of your home, adjacent structures on your property and personal property. It provides for repair or replacement caused by:
NOTE: Floods are not covered by your homeowner’s policy. To protect your property, you need a flood insurance policy.
- Fire – including damage from smoke and water used to put out a fire
- Weather - lightning, windstorms, hailstorms, tornadoes
- Electrical surge damage
- Equipment failure – damage from bursting of heating, plumbing or hot water systems
- Glass breakage
- Falling trees and objects
- Collapse of roof or walls
- Damage by vehicles
- Theft or burglary
- Vandalism and malicious mischief
We live in a litigious society where lawsuits are common. What happens if a neighbor slips and falls on your front walk breaking a leg and hitting his head? Your homeowner’s policy protects you in the event that you’re found responsible for unintentional injuries to another person or damage to property. This coverage applies whether the accident occurred on your property or elsewhere. This protection applies to all family members living in your household. Liability protection covers medical expenses and other compensation awards for injuries, and costs of a liability lawsuit for a covered incident.
customize your protection
Your dwelling and personal property are commonly protected from a variety of standard “causes of loss” up to certain limits by most insurance companies. Depending on your unique needs, you may want to customize your policy with additional special coverage called “endorsements”. Available endorsements vary depending on the insurance company. Our associates can help you understand your options. Typical special endorsements include:
- Replacement Cost. It would be nearly impossible to rebuild your home for what you paid for it even if it was just a few years ago. Also the value of furniture and other contents depreciates over time. We strongly recommend you consider this additional coverage that provides for repair or replacement of your dwelling and contents at today’s costs based on the underlying coverage limits of your policy.
- Increased Building Code Coverage. If your home is damaged and in addition to being repaired needs to be brought up to current building codes, you’ll have additional protection when you purchase “ordinance or laws” coverage.
- Earthquake. Provides coverage in the event of damage caused by an earthquake which is not covered by standard policies, but do occur in the New England area. learn more >
- Home Business. A standard homeowner’s policy provides a very limited amount of protection for personal property used for business purposes. If you run a business out of your home, a “permitted incidental occupancies” endorsement protects business equipment and also protects you from liability if you meet with clients at your home.
- Scheduled Personal Property Coverage. You can purchase increased protection for special “high valued” personal property that could exceed the limits of your policy. These may include jewelry, watches, furs, stamp and coin collections, fine arts, electronics, sports equipment, etc.
- Water Back-up and Sump Discharge or Overflow. These situations are excluded from a standard home policy, you can purchase limited coverage with this endorsement to cover situations of sewer back-up or if your sump pump fails.
Insurance companies provide discounts in certain qualified situations. Based on the information you share, your trusted associate works to maximize all discounts that you are eligible for. These may include discounts for:
NOTE: This information is only a general description of the available coverages and is not a statement of contract. All coverages are subject to all policy provisions and applicable endorsements. Some coverage may be subject to individual insureds meeting underwriting qualifications and to availability within a state. For further information contact a Murphy Insurance Agency Associate.
- New construction
- Central station fire & burglar alarms.
- Smoke detectors
- Major home revitalization or renovations
- Home and auto package discounts
- Loss free