800 222 8711 Contact Us Join Mail List Secure Mail Submit a Claim
Search magnifying glass icon

When driving out of state carry proof of insurance

Jul 16 2013

Wayne Texeira  Marketing Director, CFMP, AINS, AIS, API

Many other states require that drivers carry proof of insurance and require that insurance companies issue Auto Insurance ID Cards with policies.  However, most drivers in Massachusetts have not heard of such laws because they don't exist in our state.  This can create stressful situations, which everyone would rather avoid, and it points out the challenges that inconsistencies between state laws can cause. 

Recently, one of our customers had an accident while driving out of state, and the police officer asked for a proof of insurance card.  In Massachusetts, however, proof of insurance cards are not issued and vehicles aren't required to carry them because this information is electronically available to law enforcement via the RMV.  Gladly, after some back and forth with the officer and providing other information, the person was allowed to leave the scene.  Unfortunately, some police officers may not be informed about our laws or be easily flexible about these differences between state insurance requirements.

When you think about it, the Massachusetts method is actually more accurate because police can verify updated RMV information rather than rely on paper documentation that may be out of date if a policy is cancelled. However, since laws vary among states, you as a driver need to be aware of the possible differences and be prepared in case you have a traffic violation or accident when driving your vehicle in another state.

Murphy Insurance recommends that you take a copy of your insurance policy with you in case you need the information.  You can then present your registration, which lists your insurance company and notates that "No Insurance Card Required: Massachusetts' law does not require an insurance card.", and your policy as proof of insurance.

If you prefer, Murphy Insurance is glad to provide you with an Auto Insurance ID Card upon request. To receive Auto Insurance ID Card(s), simply visit our website at dfmurphy.com/autoidcard, and complete the ID Card Request Form. We will email your card(s) to you, which you can print and keep in your vehicle. Please note that the card is only good for the term of your insurance. You will need to request a new card when your policy renews. If you have any questions, give us a call.  We're glad to provide answers and assistance.

Note: If you are driving to Canada, please contact us because you need a special "Canada Non-Resident Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card".

Total: 0 Comment(s)